Friday, May 6, 2011

Second Grader Poetry

My wonderful son has been learning about poetry in his 2nd grade class. Good ole mom was the subject of his 5 senses poem.

Now, Alex doesn't like to "write," because he usually feels like it has to be "right." And when it's open ended questions, or assignments like this one where he has to write his thoughts, he just freezes up. But he has a very involved teacher, who understands Alex's potential like we do and plays an active role in helping Alex over his fears.

Well, thank you, Ms. Balsley... and thank you for helping him feel comfortable enough to write his mom a poem, two days before Mother's Day. Here it is:

My Mom: Annie

I hear her being funny.
I see her brown hair.
I smell her perfume.
I taste her mac and cheese.
I touch her when she gives me hugs.

My response to my son: Alex

I hear your laughter even after you've left the room.
I see those big, brown eyes looking to me for help.
I smell that shampoo I used on your hair when you were a baby.
I taste your scrambled eggs you made me for my weekend breakfast.
I hope to touch your heart, and let you know how proud I am of you, and how much I love you.

1 comment: