Saturday, May 7, 2011

Growing Up [A post from July 13, 2006]


Just reposting from my OLD myspace page. Still holds up, but it was 5 years ago! 

So, my year of "health" has turned up many reminders that I'm getting older. And while I feel I've gotten "wiser", the old bod seems to be falling apart.

I have to laugh. It's one of those "my mother told me" moments. And it's true. If you're under 25, and reading this... and have the least little respect for your parents... BELIEVE them when they tell you about getting older, and start taking better care of yourself NOW! One line my mother used to tell me was, "lose the weight now, it's harder when you're over 40." My reaction, "uh huh, hey, can I borrow about $20 (it was the 80s... $20 went farther)"

I don't feel old. When I look in the mirror, I just think I look tired... 25 and tired. But those aren't lines from being tired, they're my age showing. My wear and tear that reveals itself in little cracks and creases when I smile.

The gray is overrunning the auburn locks that once covered my head, but in a way, I think it's cool. As I tell those who would have me color my hair, "I earned every one of these fuckers, I'm wearing them with pride."

But back to the body crumbling issue. I had put on a lot of weight, and it was NOT helping me care for a very energetic toddler... so I went on Weight Watchers. I dropped 38 pounds by Xmas. I haven't lost or gained a thing since then... but what has happened, I've gotten more active. In getting more active, I've run into more problems.

I found out, I have arthritis in my hip... and possible schlerosis or bone spurs... and I'm doing PT twice a week to try to fix my pain and limp. Then, over the 4th of July, my foot started hurting... ALOT. So, I make an appointment, get referred to a podiatrist, who tells me... I have arthritis in my foot. I have now added another chemical to my daily diet, in the form of 200mg celebrex. Yippee!!! Pretty soon I'll be riviling my grandmother's weekly pill container of morning and nightly pills, totalling about 15 a day! (sigh)

I have also developed tennis elbow, most likely from lifting 41lbs of toddler when necessary.

But I have to say, for all the physical ailments of an aging body, I wouldn't trade it for the confidence, personal growth, and (hopefully) wisdom I've gained along the way. If my choice was to return to the 5 Mile a day runner who was so insecure as to hang out and try to see if her ex-boyfriend was seeing someone else... to today... THANK GOD for who I am today... aches and pains and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment