Monday, June 4, 2012

Pre Op Appt... Last Chance to Opt Out

Met with my doctor today. Dr. Puri of Northwestern Memorial Hospital.  Great guy, and from what I hear from others who have used his skillful hands to replace joints, a great surgeon.

He walked in with the requisite "doc in training," and began to explain what to expect, what he'd be doing, how it would only take about an hour.

An hour?


Uh, doc, it's FULL hip replacement...shouldn't it take longer than an hour? It will take more than an hour just to prep me for the surgery! I want my money's worth.

Anyway, the main thing is that for two weeks AFTER the surgery, he wants all my attention on PT and recovery. After that, if I feel up to it, I can start working. Maybe from home first, and then in the office.

I am going to go stir-crazy.

You can't take a woman who works 50-60 hours a week, consistently (and the rest of the time tries to make up time with her son, husband and small pet) and make her SIT and do intermittent PT. It's inhumane!

My aunt says I should catch up on my beading, and jewelry making. And I'm sure I've got a couple of books on my Kindle Fire that need read. Well, that accounts for a couple hours each day.

I'm sure sleeping will be involved. You know how recouping from anesthesia can be on the body.

Again, ONE HOUR for the surgery...days of getting over the damn anesthesia.

But the most arduous part of this whole journey (other than the pain)... the PAPERWORK! A folder of tests and protocols and agreements and prescriptions and exercises... Ugh.  (more on this later...maybe even a picture)

The good thing is that even though I'm overweight, I'm in pretty darn good health. And scheduling my surgery for the 11th, has allowed the possibility of 1) going to my company's summer party; and 2) attending the Annoyance Theater's 25th Anniversary.

I don't think I'll be doing the "Assume the Position" song & dance number from Tippi... but I can surely sit there and visit with my old friends and fellow improvisors. Hopefully I can walk into both without a limp... and without any pain.

One more errant thought.. I haven't even asked what this is going to cost me in $$. Weird, huh? I guess when you make your mind up to try and better the quality of your life... you just move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment